Family Theories

This week we are going to focus on different theories, in regards to the family. "Social scientists use theories not only to explain but also to guide research. Consequently, theory is an important part of the study of intimate relationships. There is, however, no single theory that encompasses the field of marriage and the family." The four theories we will discuss are conflict theory, symbolic interaction theory, exchange theory, and systems theory.

1) Conflict theory: individuals are always competing for more attention and or influence.              Power = influence.
2) Symbolic interaction theory: non-verbal or verbal behavior that MEANS something to others.
3) Exchange theory: getting out as much as you put in.
4) Systems theory: roles of individuals in their own subsystems.

Each of the theories can relate to the family. I am going to just focus on the conflict and symbolic theories. First, conflict theory. This one is probably the most obvious because siblings and family members fight for attention all the time! There is always a constant battle between the youngest child and all the other siblings for attention (because we all know that the youngest child is the most spoiled out of the bunch). There can also be conflict between the only child and the soon to be born child. The only child is used to having mom and dads attention all the time, but then here comes this baby that steels their spot light. That can be an adjustment. Ok, so conflict happens. But what about influencing others in the family as well? I am the oldest in my family and I felt like I had/have an influence on my younger siblings. They would watch me like a hawk! If I did something, pretty soon they would be doing it too. I did it as well. I have older cousins that I looked up to and I wanted to do what they were doing. We have a lot of influence on those around us. Even more so to our family members because they are the ones we are around the most.

Symbolic interaction theory. I wanted to share a few thought about this one because I am the queen when it comes to this (which isn't really good thing). This theory can be verbal or non-verbal. I personally am pro at the non-verbal stuff. For example, when I get mad at someone I tend to just stop talking. I ignore them and I have this "look" on my face. My husband knows the "look." I have been told that I wear my emotions on my face... my facial expressions give me away most of the time. Now, relate this to family interactions. When a mom wants to get her points across she will give you the look, or snap at you, or point. Then you know she is serious. Or dad will have his "you're in trouble" look. Another example can be with siblings. You could have this one sibling that will do something that you hate just so they get on your nerves. There are certain gestures or facial expressions etc that can send us signals and we know what the other person is telling us.

What kind of symbolic interactions or conflict theories did you see or do see in your family?

One thing that I think is really important when I think about family theories is the concept of unity. Unity means "the state of being united or joined as a whole." I love that definition, "joined as a whole." Theories do point out a lot of different family dynamics and how a family tends to works. But when I think of the family, I think of being united. Yes we all have our quirks, and issues, etc. But we are to work together as a family unit, to come closer together and help each other out. We love each other and want what is best for everyone. But in order to create that unity, the mother and the father need to be unified first. We learn from there example, and we tend to want what they have.

                                      Man and Woman united together, in one cause.

Yes the theories mentioned in this post are true and do happen. But we need to remember to stay true to our purpose as a family- which is to be unified in the same cause.



Resources: Marriage and Family in America Lauer & Lauer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divorce

Parenting

Coping with Stress