Dating 101

What is dating nowadays?! Do we see individuals going on dates on a regular basis? What has become the "norm" of dating? I would define dating more as hanging out than anything. We tend to see teens and young adults who just like to hang out with each other all the time. There will often be groups of boys and girls that are with each other and they do fun date like things but the hang out sesh isn't classified as a date. Or we tend to see couples who just like to sit around and watch a movie or something and not plan their evenings together.

A hang out is more relaxed and it is a time to get together and then worry about what you are going to do. I feel like the youth of today do like to be social. They like to get together with each other and have a good time, but for some reason we feel a some sort of pressure to plan and come up with dates. I also think we tend to be a little fearful in the idea of being rejected. It is no fun being rejected after building up so much courage to ask someone out in the first place. Rejection can get old after being rejected so many times in a row.

When I was in high school I personally was scared to get asked out on dates because then I automatically thought that that guy loved me and wanted to marry me. For some reason when someone would say the word "date" a warning sound would go off in my mind and I would just be scared for my life. I didn't understand that dating was supposed to be a fun time that you can have to get to know others. For me, it just meant watch out he has a ring in his pocket.

We can see how dating can be such a negative thing, but is there any good to dating? Dating is meant to be fun and a time for you to get out and enjoy other peoples company and to get to know others. A date is planned, paid for, and being paired off with an individual (couples). There are so many great things that come from dating! We are to date individuals that share the same standards and interests as us. That way we will find people that we are compatible with and share the same interests.

It is important to date and see what we like and dislike in people. When we go on dates (and not just hang out) we have more fun and we have more time to see what that person is like in different surroundings. I think it would be great if we taught our children the importance of dating and that they can go on more dates than just to the prom. Being around different people will help our children see the good in all people. It will also help them see what they want in their future spouse. So let's start dating again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Divorce

Parenting

Coping with Stress